Friday 15 May 2015

“Now… Bring me that horizon!” – Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean



Okay. So first of all, I'd like to mention that I only just started listening to them about a month ago or so, don’t bite me if I twist up some facts, I’m still learning about them! Nevertheless, I have no doubts that they are an amazing band, that's worth recommending. So here it goes.
                                                        
Current members, from the left: Lee Malia (guitar), Matt Kean (bass), Oliver Sykes (vocal), Matt Nicholls (drums), Jordan Fish (keyboard) 
                         

                        BRING ME THE HORIZON
“We don’t listen to metal, we listen to all kinds of stuff and we like pop music, so I think being in that middle ground between two genres that are opposites, like heavy metal and pop, we try and take the best bits from both,” explains Fish. “Opening people up to different styles of music that they wouldn’t necessarily have been willing to listen to before would be cool – in metal music some people can be quite closed-minded. It’s quite niche and I think we go out of our way to be awkward in the metal genre.” (Friday 28 November 2014)

It’s hard to qualify their music, because it varies so much now, compared to when they started in 2004.
Generally, they were metalcore/deathcore band. This kind of music didn’t really seem appealing to me before – listening to screams and growls throughout the whole song/album even – I was tired just thinking about it. So what changed my mind, then? 
 
Lyrics. Music in the sense of melody is important, but when it comes to lyrics – there is this unspoken rule in my head – if they tug at my heartstrings in some way or another, I would definitely give a shot any band, because – why not?
About the screaming. When I’ve been listening to their songs, I started wondering what’s the deal with all the screeching and weird sounds that came out of Oli’s mouth, and I came to conclusion that it’s just different/other way to express the emotions that hide behind the lyrics and farther – all those bottled up feelings like anger, anxiety, sadness, loneliness, listlessness – not spoken out loud, but articulated in the form of <<SCREAMING>>.
I guess, anyone could relate to that, right?

Coming back to the lyrics – I’ve did some research, and apparently – Sempiternal – their latest album released in 2013, is all based on personal experience and issues that went in Oli’s life. He confessed that he’s been in a rehab for a month combating ketamine addiction. It was going on for years and he was struggling a lot – thankfully, there were people who stayed beside him and encouraged him to fight it, and the result of that we can hear on this particular album.
Pretty strong album if I can add to that.

This is just another example of music being some kind of salvation, catharsis.
What’s more – not only for those who create it, but also for those who listen to it.
Magic, isn’t?

Check them out!


No comments:

Post a Comment