Monday 3 December 2018

Good old stuff

Up until now I’ve been mostly writing about bands and artists from the 20th century, although I absolutely love listening to old stuff, especially when I’m travelling or skating. Therefore I’ve decided to fix that and make a post about some epic (in my opinion) tunes that don’t get old with passing time.

Some people say that old music (old enough to be remembered by them I guess) is the best music of all times and it has something that modern music is lacking profoundly – a soul. Well, as you may already assume, I don’t really share that opinion. I don’t really care when a certain song was written, as long as it moves me in some way, be it an old song or a recently released one. But on the other hand I kinda understand this point of view, because it’s based on people’s experiences, memories and most of all nostalgia, which is a very powerful emotion, as everyone knows. Who doesn’t reminiscence the old good times with a whistful smile on their face? Who doesn’t want to bring back those good times and memories that are ingraved preciously in our minds? Who doesn’t  have some space carved out in their heart for a certain song because it reminds them of someone from the past? Music is also that : a priceless memory lane.

So yeah. I do understand where someone may come from when they say that today’s music is not the best kind. (Though I’d also tell that said person to try and look deeper because it’s obviously not true and I hope that in some way I proved that through my previous posts). But today, as I said, we’ll look through some old music that I learned to love (with some additional commentary on my part), so here and now, I invite you to drive through my memory lane (aka chosen songs from my spotify playlist), maybe we’ll meet at some point? J


This song is a TOTAL JAM. It really puts me in a good mood and make me wanna dance (which I am not really good at unfortunately...) and goof around. It’s been constantly on the radio since I was little and I never get tired of it.


I’ve been growing up with rock and metal music in the background since my dad was a huge fan of old bands, like this one, Black Sabbath or Depeche Mode. This music makes me think of him and my childhood.


A beautiful song from the Dirty Dancing movie, one of my favourite movies in the romance genre.


It’s one of those songs I’ve been surrounded by for as long as I remember, the falsetto is incredibly impressive to me. My brother likes them too!

This song was covered by Fugees and it surpassed in popularity the original version, that’s really a shame. I like Lori’s soulful singing and the story behind this song – apparently she wrote some of the lyrics after she had seen Don McLean perform Empty Chairs.

 I’ve travelled a lot with my family in the past and this song was often played in the radio. The Police was also one of my dad’s favourite. Whenever I hear it I have a desert road behind my eyes.

I couldn't NOT put this song in here, it wouldn’t feel right. Very few people can cover Queen’s songs. Anyone watched the movie that came out in the theater’s some time ago?

 A pop icon and inspiration to many. Billie Jean reminds me of GTA, a game I played with my brothers in primary school.

I love the chorus and the general cheerfulness of this song!

Perversely written song about love. Totally magical! It reminds me of my teenage love. :)

If you want to hear some more of my old favourites, here’s my playlist.
Comment below your favourite old songs, I’d love that!

No comments:

Post a Comment